Most homeowners are aware that roofing issues need to be fixed, but often put repairs on the backburner for either money or time issues, or maybe just because they don’t even know they have a problem. Some advice out there says you can wait to get them fixed, and others say you can’t wait another moment. Another major issue is that homeowners don’t know what has caused the leak, and therefor don’t know how to get it solved. Let’s look at what causes most leaks and how bad they are for your home.
First, what causes roof leaks?
The biggest issue that we face with leaks is that we need to determine what has caused them. There are even instances when condensation or issues with the air conditioning system are misdiagnosed as being a hole in the roofing somewhere. There are a few major causes for leaks, the most common of which are:
- Shingle issues
- Damaged flashing, sealant, or caulk
- Improper ventilation- this can cause condensation to build up which is often mistaken for a leak in the roof
- Exposed nail heads
- Built-up debris- this not only traps moisture, it accelerates deterioration in your roof
It takes a trained professional to determine the real cause and the necessary steps to repair them. Make sure to get a company over immediately to determine the issue.
How bad are they for the home?
Whether minor or major, roof leaks can cause major damage to the home. Physical and financial (sometimes both!) damages can be incurred, so there is no time to wait on beginning repairs. Here are some of the major damages that could be the result of waiting too long:
- Structural damage- water seeping through could damage the structure of your walls and roof
- Mold- mold thrives in damp environments. Letting too much water in is asking for trouble
- Financial damages- a small leak is relatively easy and cheap to fix. Large damages in the home are very expensive. The longer you wait the worse it gets.
CLS Roofing has been serving Ottawa long enough to know the dangers of roofing, and in a city where the weather can go to both extremes it’s always best to be prepared for the worst. Knowing what causes leaks and what the dangers are should help to put things in perspective. You shouldn’t put off contacting a professional roofing company any longer.